10 oz. Melt and Pour Shea Butter Soap Base (Michael's carries this)
Zest of one orange
Orange Essential Oil: 20-30 drops
Microwaveable Glass Measuring Cup (I used Pyrex)
Bread Loaf Pan/Silicone Mold
Wooden Stir Stick/Popsicle Stick
This really couldn't be simpler. I started out by cutting off 10 oz. of the shea butter mix and pour soap base. I have a kitchen scale and measured out 10 oz. worth. Then I zested (is that a verb?!) my oranges. I had little oranges on hand, and I used 3 for this recipe, although 1 med-large orange is fine.
Next step: Put microwaveable measuring cup in microwave, and start melting the shea butter in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each turn. Overall it took about 2 minutes, but you cannot simply put this in and cook for 2 mins...you have to stir, otherwise soap will bubble and burn, which you don't want. It's not that long anyway. I used a wooden stir stick to stir. You can use a spoon probably, but this keeps it simple and one less thing to clean. Towards the end you'll have all mostly melted, and a clump of unmelted product...try stirring first to decide if another pop in the microwave is necessary. Sometimes a clump just needs to be stirred to melt fully, but if it's still staying a clump, then back into the microwave it goes.
After the soap base is fully melted, no clumps, add in the orange zest and orange essential oil, and stir to combine. Smell that? Yummy!
Then into the loaf pan! To keep the soap from sticking to the pan, I used cooking spray. All I have right now is a loaf pan, but silicone molds are ideal-I can't wait to receive my recent purchase of the very item! I then set the pan in the fridge for an hour to set. Make sure surface is flat, otherwise soap will be uneven.
After the soap is hard, I took my trusty nylon knife to cut the soap where it met the pan, and then used a metal spatula to help release from pan, and then it all popped out. Using same knife I cut the soap into squares, I just eye balled everything, I didn't measure.
Then you wrap it up all cutesy, whether in some cellophane treat bags, or leave exposed to air and tie up a few with baker's twine, it's up to you. I went the cellophane route, and made up some labels to make it look professional, which can be found in this link here to download so you can look professional as well! (Click on the "down" arrow at left hand of screen when you open the link) This has been formatted to work with Avery 2" Round Labels #22807. I used Birmingham Font, found here.
And that's it! I hope you enjoyed this simple DIY, and that you will enjoy making these for your intended parties! Happy Mother's Day to all!